Hi Readers! (Is anyone still out there?) I wanted to give a BIG update, because since my last post nearly 18 months ago, my life has undergone a major evolution! All of these changes are the reason behind my silence; I didn’t have a clear vision for my blog because… well, I didn’t have a clear vision for my life.
Let me explain. When I started this blog in 2013, the primary focus was weight loss and my attempt at becoming a healthier person (physically, emotionally, spiritually) as I entered my 30’s. I may not have kept all of the weight off that I lost that year, but overall I would say that I succeeded in my goals of laying down things that were ‘weighing’ me down. Once I started doing that, there was so much more to consider than just ‘Can I lose weight?’
It’s been an ever-evolving set of ideas for me: What is health? What is balance? What is important to me? How do I live those things each day? These issues are fluid and to contemplate them, for me, is to LIVE.
Enter: a wonderful person that I fell in love with.
I met Aaron in January of 2015. We had a very easy connection from the beginning, rooted in similar upbringings (on a family farm, in northwest Iowa) and life experience as an adults (went to Iowa State, travelled away from home, lived out of state, ended up back in Iowa). Six months after we met, Aaron decided to move back to NW Iowa and return to his roots – farming. And after over a year of being apart… well, we didn’t want to be apart anymore.
What is the number one thing I swore I would not do when I was 18? Move back to northwest Iowa. And yet, here I am. Life has a way of making you eat your words. I am not who I was when I made that vow; I want different things. That’s particularly hard to admit for me. Once I have an idea, it’s hard for me to let go of it. And yet I have learned (again and again) that as you evolve as an individual, so will your dreams.
These changes will certainly effect my content here. What can you expect? Well, here’s a quick list that I am excited about:
- Recipes! I still enjoy cooking and will be happy to share what I am up to in the kitchen. Can’t promise they will be 100% paleo/gluten free/always super duper healthy, but I still do slant that way. I love to use fresh ingredients, make things from scratch and now that I have a garden I can’t wait to figure out what to do with the harvest! Stay tuned!
- Small Town Iowa One of my goals is to show the world what drew me back to my roots in this corner of the state. There is a lot to love and I plan to feature it!
- Travel! Aaron and I both enjoy experiencing new places, foods and people and I plan to share the things we find and the lessons we learn. I can’t wait to do a post on our adventures over the past year; including Yellowstone and Glacier National Park!
- We are building a house! Bringing our visions together, we drew the floor plans ourselves and are (hopefully) breaking ground later this summer. There are sure to be bumps along the way and I can’t wait to see what we end up with!
- Life 🙂 Changing my lifestyle from living in New York City, to Des Moines, to something much more rural is an evolution that fills me with gratitude. Not everyone gets to see the world from so many different perspectives in one life, and I’m far from done with life! I am open to ideas for posts… if there is anything you would like me to talk about or questions you want me to answer – I am ready and willing! Comment below!